Kahului Jodo Mission
325 Laau Street
Kahului, Hawaii 96732
Rev. Shodo Hara arrived in Puunene in the autumn of 1909, conducted religious services in a room of a plantation house in Young Hee Village of Puunene Plantation. He built a two-story temple in March 1910 and named it the Maui Jodoshu Kyokaido which was the first Jodo Mission on the island of Maui. The name of Maui Jodoshu Kyokaido changed to Puunene Jodoshu Kyokaido, then Puunene Meishoin, Puunene Jodoin and finally, to its present name, Kahului Jodo Mission.
During 1959, the plantation began to shut down the various camps and consolidate the housing for the workers into one central area named “Dream City” . The membership of Puunene Jodoin in 1964 decided on the relocation of the Temple to Kahului which was finalized in 1969. The temple name was changed from Puunene Jodoin to Kahului Jodoin (Jodo Mission) and is now known as Kahului Jodo Mission. It sits right in the middle of the Dream City community adjacent to the Maui High School football practice field.