97 Olona Street
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Rev. Kanseki Shimizu arrived in 1908 as a missionary in Hilo and built a Hondo (main temple altar) and warehouse on Piopio Street in Hilo in 1911. He founded Hilo Meishoin Girls’ Technical School in 1914.
On May 23, 1960 when Hilo was inundated by tidal waves originating from Chile earthquake, Meishoin was completely damaged and ordered to evacuate to a new site by the government. A reconstructed new temple emerged in 1964 on the present site.